Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Morning drive to the Shenandoah Valley.

Back in October 2013, after sending the kids off to school I decided to drive west and explore some of the more rural parts of Virginia.  I drove about 2 hrs west of Falls Church and came upon a cute little town.  Below is a photo as I approached:


I was amazed a the beautiful fall colors.  Since it's late fall I started looking for an apple orchard.  I miss Apple Hill!  

I found this cute orchard and had apple cider, a fritter, and got a big bag of apples for the family.


 Below is another photo of the orchards and fall colors:


On the way home from the apple stand I saw a sign to Belle Grove Plantation. There is a big field in front of this plantation where during the Civil War was fought the "Battle of Belle Grove". 
http://www.bellegrove.org/index.php?/about/battle

From the Manor house website I found that the Belle Grove Plantation is an authentic 1797 Manor House, built by Major Isaac Hite and his wife Nelly Madison Hite, sister of President James Madison.
 
 I feel like I should have lived on a Plantation.  I got a tour of the grounds and home.










No comments:

Post a Comment