Sunday, December 15, 2013

New York before Christmas (mid Dec 2013)

For Lexies birthday she wanted to spend the weekend in New York City.  It just so happened that weekend we picked saw the first big snow storm of the year.  There was almost no one there.

We got into town and the first thing we did was go walk on the High Line.  It's an abandoned elevated train that has been turned into a beautiful walkway.  It's landscaped and a great way to see NY.  Here Johnny couldn't resist trying to eat the snow as it fell from the sky.

Here after 5 minutes of walking Johnny needed a rest.  Or "snow bathing" (instead of sun bathing) as he called it.
 

In Chinatown we saw this cool graffiti on the side of the building.  My boys are trying to pose like the alien version of the Hulk in this photo.
Next we went to the Financial District.  Here Livy is taking a break at the popular Potbelly Sandwich shop.

We toured Wall Street, saw the stock exchange.  Paul really wanted to see the famous bull.  Grace is kissing the bull (unfortunately it must be full of the germs of a million tourists) because I was not there to supervise.

 Next we toured the World Trade Center.  Have I already said how cold it was?  It was brutal.
 It got dark, the snow came down harder and temp dropped further.  So we went in doors.  First we went to the Toy's R Us.  It is 3 stories tall and was packed with people.  Here are the three youngest with "Lego Hulk".
 Here they are again with Optimus Prime.  Liv and John are showing their guns...
 Johnny found this giant Mike & Ike that he wanted for Christmas.  At 1 1/2 pounds I can only imagine the sugar that must be contained in that box and the crazed sugar reaction it would cause that boy after he consumed it in 10 minutes or less.  Why Grace felt inclined to lick the box I'm not sure.  Paul explained to her that the candy was on the inside.


 The next day we went through the Natural History Museum.  The kids favorite was "Dum Dum".

 We finished the History Museum and hiked around Central Park.
 It had snowed about 6 inches and the kids made a snow man.
 The Central Park Lake has several paths that go around it.  We just barely kept all the kids out of the water.
 Here's a photo of Paul and I on the west side of the Lake just opposite of Strawberry Fields.
 The Bow Bridge.  The lake was frozen but not thick enough to walk on.
 On the east side of the lake is a statue of Hans Christian Anderson.  Grace and Johnny on the bench with Hans.
 On the way to the Met Museum we found the Alice in Wonderland Statue.

I wasn't able to find any photos of the Met.  It has to be one of my most favorite museums.  If I end up finding the pics I'll post them later.  The trip was two days long and it went to fast.  Paul and I decided we will have to come back on our own in the springtime.





No comments:

Post a Comment